Monday, December 14, 2009

Miles and miles.

After watching an inspiring episode of The Biggest Loser, which included the contestants running a marathon, I thought...maybe I should run a marathon. So, I've officially decided to run the LA Marathon on March 21, 2010.

Folks, that's what happens when you find yourself with too much time on your hands...you come up with crazy ideas. I guess it's not sooo crazy because I do have a background of distance running. I ran cross country for 7 years (middle school and high school). I have somewhat of an idea of what it might be like to run 26.2 miles, right? Yikes. I ran a half marathon with my Dad when I was in high school...but I'm more than a little rusty now. I just needed a goal.

Well, I started training two weeks ago. I officially started following an 18 week program created by Hal Higdon 1 week ago..so I'm a couple of weeks behind in his program. I should be able to get enough training in starting 15 weeks out, I think. This is one of those many moments I wish my Dad was alive and in my life. He ran at least 4 marathons while he was alive that I know of and I really would just like to ask him for advice.

A few things I have learned in the miles I have run so far:

1. Running in 20 degree weather is way easier than running in 7 degree weather. Imagine that!
2. Sometimes I feel better in the first half of my run and sometimes I feel better in the last half.
3. 26.2 miles is a long way to go...4 miles right now feels like forever...

Unfortunately I've had to delay the training for a few days due to a foot injury. I'm hoping that by tomorrow I will be able to be up and running again.

1 comment:

Manda said...

How's the frozen water bottle treating you? Hope your foot's feeling better! So proud of you!